I’m often asked who the right professional is for a particular mental health need. “Should I see a Clinical Psychologist, a Counsellor or a Coach?”

The mental health profession is indeed hard to navigate. There are Psychologists and Psychiatrists. Then, there are Coaches, Psychotherapists, Counsellors, Mental Health Workers, Mental Health Nurses, etc.

Of course, there are professionals with a “Dr” in front of their name and most without. Some professionals call themselves a “Consultant”, “Senior”, “Principal”, and every other title under the sun.

Even among Psychologists, some call themselves “Clinical Psychologists”, “Educational Psychologists”, “Health Psychologists”, etc.

With so many options, it’s not surprising that a lot of people give up on their search for the right psychological support.

The field of mental health professionals is very confusing. That’s why I always reply to all clients’ requests myself. There’s only so much you can expect in this minefield, even from the most experienced of the administrative, secretarial staff.

When I respond to an enquiry, I explain the available options, how they differ, and who might be the best professional for your needs. The choice is always yours.

I’ve written a detailed blog on the different types of mental health professions as I couldn’t find an adequate resource elsewhere. Clients and readers who want to be informed, stay tuned.

To find out more about what a psychologist is, see this brief and informative clip created by the British Psychological Society.

About Dr Nick
Contact Dr Nick
Book a Consultation